Wednesday, January 14, 2009

I heart pictures

I love pictures. Whoever invented Photoshop and wireless internet, I could kiss the ground you walk on. Scratch that, I could lick your shoes, THEN kiss the ground you walk on, I love those products so much.  I could sit.for.hours. arranging, editing, and looking at pictures on my laptop. For some strange reason, my husband often gives me a hard time about bringing the laptop to bed or else I would stay up all night playing in Photoshop (maybe he should start cutting me some slack unless he wants a FIFTH kid) (insert "berr, chicka, berr, berr music here).

So I'm sitting here in bed once again playing and organizing photos and thought I would post a few faves from some recent shoots (one of these days I'm going to put together an actual photography site ;))

The following types of pictures demonstrate just why I love photography so much. I go out on these shoots and my friends want me to capture a nice family portrait where everyone is sitting and looking at the camera and smiling. But their kids have other ideas. And they get SO EXCITED about a leaf. A feather. A flower. Or just running in general. And I get lucky enough to push the shutter button at the right time and capture it. And then it makes me wish I thought like a child and still got excited about these little things. It makes me appreciate what goes on in their little heads.



And we can't forget our newest friend, little Macie Paige. How flipping sweet is SHE? Actually she is quite dangerous. Gives me a serious case of the "Iwannabepregnantandhaveanotherkid"s, which we all know is an illness I fight daily.I heard a little rumor that a certain tough ex Army guy got a little misty eyed when he saw the following picture of his two children. And that makes me all misty eyed. Seriously- could a photographer ask for anything more than THAT? sigh.


But here's my big problem.   I don't get pictures printed!! I take a ton of pictures, edit them so they are just right, post some of them on the blog, but never print them! In 20 years my kids are going to want to sit down with me and look through photo albums and what am I going to do? Get my obsolete external hard drives out of storage and try to plug them into the computer chip that will no doubt be implanted into my brain in the year 2029?  Somehow I just don't get the same warm fuzzies imagining us looking through files on a computer as I do imagining us looking and laughing through old photo albums.

So I am resolving right now to:

1) Take at least one picture every.single.day. They grow up so fast. I know I'll NEVER regret taking too many pictures, but I WILL regret not taking enough.

2) Print at least 10-15 pictures per month. Here's the kicker. They don't have to all be technically good. I'll even let myself print crappy, out of focus, underexposed photos with terrible composition if they capture the moment (whatever that moment is).

3) Stick them in a photo album.

I'm putting this resolution on my blog bc I think it will make me even more resolved to DO IT. When you come visit me, and if you're my friend, you have to pretend you want to look through my photo albums. You have to ask me how this is going. Nothing motivates me more than Katie, who works out like a fiend, asking me "how's working out/yoga going?" and me having to shamefully admit I have been a slacker for a month (so thanks Katie... I got my butt out of bed this week and have gotten back on the yoga train thanks to me not wanting to face the shame of your question, LOL!!).  I don't want to have to admit to anyone that I couldn't stick to this simple little resolution.

Understand your mission? Cool.

Here's my cute story of the week. As Presley and I frantically race-walked through Lowes trying to find the restrooms last week, she innocently looked up at me and in her little three year old voice said, "why don't we use those ones?" while pointing at one of the remodeling displays. So cute.


14 comments:

  1. You are so incredibly talented! I could look at your pictures for hours! I'll go with you to find and worship the creators of photoshop and wireless internet :) How did people ever use the internet while not on the couch??!! Hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You might try buying Creative Memories software (or something similiar) you can make a page or pages for scrapbooks digitally now. Then you just upload to your local Sam's and they print it out and you pop it into your scrapbook!That is my goal this year too! Get those photos out of the computer ;)Good luck...your photos are stunning. C

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love all the pictures Trace! Just an idea instead of using photo albums you could make photo books either on shutterfly, mpix or snapfish. I have made several...just to name two our honeymoon and Ella's birth. And they are like story books not albums. They are really cool and are at a pretty good price!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are sooooo talented!!! And look, Tristan's famous!!! :) We have your pictures on our wall in our living room and get comments all the time. I will have to take a picture for you!! I like the photobook idea too - I never get ours printed either! I am working on putting the blog into a book but it is a long process and it gets expensive... But it's fun and I think the kids will enjoy it one day!!! I promise to want to look at your pictures next time we come visit!!!!!! :)
    PS - #5???? You really are super Mom!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. love the pics! you are awesome and you should give up the day job!!! Go for that next little one- I swear if anyone can do it you guys can! love our pics! our families can't get enough I am constantly re-ordering!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am BEYOND impressed with your photography!! Serious goosebumps. Stunning! (:

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG, this makes me want to get in the car RIGHT NOW and drive 4 hours just to get the girls in a piece of your gorgeous art! SERIOUSLY! I wish I could be so talented:-)
    That is one of my new year's resolutions too...more pics printed, framed and up on the wall! (This is my problem... I have a ton printed and they are in shoe boxes just waiting for me to do something with them).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amazing photos! So talented, Tracy. We got an SLR when Lucas was born but Berto and I have no idea how to use it! Just play around with the settings. Please teach me and/or some tips would be appreciated. :)

    Your children are so blessed to have you as their mom. Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great blog!!!! Your photos are so great and then I look at my "average" photos on my blog and I get embarrassed. On a good note...I am THRILLED I encourgaed you to get out of bed this week and do yoga!!! Yippee for taking care of yourself. Moms tend to take care of everyone else and often neglect themselves. You go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am once again completely in awe of your photos! You are incredibly talented and creative. I have got to get you to help my family look that good.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Super update Tracy!!! I LOVE LOVE LOVE the pic of Reese & Macie. As for the the photos, like everyone else mentioned do a photo book. I don't know about yours, but my childhood albums are missing pictures, they are faded, and bent/scratched. If you put them together in a book you know they will never disappear. And an even better reason...you can buy 4 copies, 1 for each kiddo to have. If you use the blurb web site you can have numerous options for your pictures

    ie-a page of thumbnails, a full spread, add text if you want or non at all. There are 40+ page options. It's great.

    And as far as your photography- you can allow others to buy your book and make a profit from it. You could be a published photographer! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Presley is so cute and innocent. I bet her dad would have let her use one of those toilets!!

    Thank you so much for always sharing your pictures. You are very talented! I will be sure to ask how the album is coming the next time I am over :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am going to have to do the same thing with my pictures. Good idea! Who ever thought of actually printing them?!?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ooooh, the pictures of Reese and Macie are heavenly. I bet Laura was thrilled.

    ReplyDelete