Tuesday, March 10, 2009

NYC Post #2

Soooo, my girls trip to NYC with Krista to visit Heather was of course, a blast. Some reasons I now understand all the hype about NYC:

  • Not needing a car is awesome. Everything you could ever need is RIGHT THERE within walking distance. Way cool.

  • Little quaint, non chain restaurants and shops everywhere you look is totally fantastic.

  • I'm sure the city has its fair share of a-holes, just like any other city, but I certainly didn't meet any of them. The New Yorkers I met were way cool!
  • I know why it is the coined "the city that never sleeps." Why in the world would you want to sleep when there is SO MUCH to do there? (Maybe this is where I should write my official apology to Heather and Krista for waking up so early every morning. Ladies- you should know better by now what you are getting into when you vacation with the ultimate early bird)

  • The shopping. Oh the lovely shopping. Enough said.

  • There was a roller-skate disco in Central Park. Yep, you read that right. A DJ booth was set up in the middle of the park and a bunch of random folks were gathered around dancing. ON ROLLER SKATES. Everyone from a Grandma in spandex to a Rastafarian to a shirtless weightlifter balancing a Coke on his head. It belonged in "Awesomeness" magazine. You just don't find that kind of stuff in Texas.
  • Hangin with two of my best buds in one of the coolest cities in the planet. Behold the pic below taken in the cab at 3:30 am on the way home from a bar. I say we look pretty dang good for a bunch of drunkards. (OK, I'll admit I edited the photo a little...we looked a lot rougher than this at the end of the night! )

Some things that are a little unsettling about the city:

  • The "shopping bender" (as Jesse calls it) that I felt compelled to go on. Something about the city made me want to spend money with no thought of financial repercussions.
  • Me very willingly getting into the back of a stranger's dark minivan to look at knock off purses in Chinatown. And even worse, getting so caught up in the bargaining that I ended up with not one but TWO knock offs I didn't even want in the first place. If you see me walking around with a fab new Coach bag, don't ask if it's real. I will lie to you and tell you it is :).

  • The amount of dirt that accumulated under my fingernails and in my nose (resulting in a constant need to clean out black boogers). No, I didnt do any gardening or mine tours... this was the result of walking around the city.
  • Um... Heather, what were we doing in this picture? You'll have to jog my memory.

However, there's just no place like home. One of my favorite quotes is that "marriage is falling in love over and over and over again... always with the same person." I feel like parenting is like that too. The morning after I came home I had one of those parental moments when I just fell in love with my kids all over again. If you're a parent, you know probably (hopefully) know what I am talking about.  I was sitting on our front porch swing sipping coffee, waiting with Emily for her school bus. Kaylee and Presley started running through the sprinklers in their jammies, giggling and laughing as the sun was coming up behind them. And I fell in love with being a mommy to these amazing little creatures all over again. Wow. I hope I never forget how I felt at that very moment.

Life is good my friends. Life is good.

7 comments:

  1. Sounds like fun! I now have to throw away my new purple sparkle top (the same one Krista is wearing) because she looks way hotter in that I ever could. I'm gonna go back to the plus size shop, that way none of ya'll will fit into my rockin fashions, the potatoe sack!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL, I am laughing so hard right now at the purse thing because I seem to remember you doing the EXACT same thing in Florence!! No dark van, but two knock-off's later.... :) HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. SO MUCH FUN!!!! I am SOOO happy you guys got to come before I move. Such a great weekend!! xoxo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i was goign to say you had BETTER have photoshopped that pic, b/c if you bee-atches look that good after a night out partying, i'm officially turning in my party card. sounds like you had a blast - didn't your mother tell you to not get in the back of strangers vans??? :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome back Trace! NYC is great! I've been twice and loved it! but you are right...nothing is sweeter than home sweet home! Love the new picture banner!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Was that new banner done after our last PS class, or did you already know how to do that one?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just did a new post and had not read yours. It's all about being in love with your family. How sweet life really is. I'm so glad you girls had so much fun.

    ReplyDelete