Tuesday, September 30, 2008

TV and Kids

I think I am going to start posting a little more about whats rattlin around in this noggin of mine. Right now I feel like posting a blurb about television and kids.
  • I want to personally thank Disney, Pixar, Nickelodeon, and AT&T Uverse for making sure I am able to survive one more day on this earth without losing it. Without the gracious offerings of these companies, well, I am just not sure what I would do. I know I sure wouldn't have the bandwidth to blog and entertain you folks.
  • The "child development experts" and "home schoolers" (imagine Chris Farley saying this using his "quote" fingers) that say TV "rots the brain" and that "kids under 2 should watch zero TV" need one good arse kicking. I'm sure they would run out of my house screaming their head off begging for mercy.
  • TV is clean. Its entertaining. They stay quiet for 30 minutes at a time. My kids learned their alphabet - pretty sure it was not from me, but from the TV.
  • During the hurricane (the "BIG ONE" as I am sure we will refer to it when we are 80), I was most concerned, not about my roof, but about not having TV for more than a day.
  • Case in point. Look at how content and sweet they are in the pic below.
That's all. Just wanted to speak my mind. And just so you don't think I plop them down in front of the TV every chance I get (which IS true depending on who is on Facebook at the moment), here is a pic of Kaylee & Presley and our recent finger painting activity. When I asked Kaylee why she felt the need to paint her whole body red, she said "I just need to be GORGEOUS right now."
Kaylee's preK teacher told us today, "I got a little taste about what you are talking about. I went to help Kaylee in the potty today. She started singing to me. Very. Loudly."

She is truly one of a kind.

7 comments:

  1. Hear-hear on the TV bit! Love the quote about Kaylee "needing" to be gorgeous right now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the pic of them all on the couch. Too cute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The colors in the painting pictures are amazing! Love the TV pic too. I'm with you. I used to be so against the TV. Then I tried to nurse a baby with a jealous 2 year old in the same room. It was much safer with the TV on. I cried when I told Mark one day I put T in front of the TV for a whole hour in a row. Now that Mark travels so much we watch a lot more TV than we used to... Oh well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I WAS a firm believer that the TV is not a babysitter...WHEN I DIDN"T HAVE A KID! Now with Lilly only ~4mo old I have already changed my thinking. She obviously doesn't understand but she truly enjoys watching the TV. She will crane her neck when I am burping her to see the tube!

    ReplyDelete
  5. All I have to say is, have you discovered "Super Why" yet (on PBS)? It is such a great show and every kid loves it! It teaches them how to read and it works! Micah is totally addicted. (and Fritz too) (:

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the pic of them watching TV. Who doesn't like Dora?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the pic of them all watching the big silver babysitter. We're fans as well. Isn't there a Freakonomics chapter on TV and how it's really not bad?

    The finger-painting pictures are sooo cute! What do you do with all of these cute pics? Do you print them all out and keep the mother of all albums?

    ReplyDelete