2) I somehow managed to lose not one, but two kids. Friday night I took the clan to a birthday party at Pump It Up while Jesse helped his mom move some furniture. By the time I realized Kaylee wasn't in the same party room as the rest of us, another parent was already returning her. She had crashed another kid's party. Never mind that they were about 8 years old and were all Spanish speaking. She was partying like a rock star. This happened only a few minutes after she had gotten a bloody nose and had bled all over herself and various birthday party items (tablewear and such).
We went to the iWOW festival on the Waterway on Saturday. Presley ran off and for about 4-5 minutes Jesse searched for her (it was dark, crowded outdoor festival near the water) while I stood on top of our stroller in the middle of a crowd full of people frantically scanning the area. A family must have noticed the panicked look on my face because they stopped to ask me who I lost. I described Presley and within about a minute, their 9 year old was able to find her (she was happy as could be, she didn't realize she was "lost"). When Jesse and I talked about it later, it was interesting to note the chain of emotions we both went through:
Jesse: anger (damn her for running off!), then 100% focus on finding her, then relief
when she was located.
Me: immediate fear escalating into a panic, relief when she was found (is "relief" even a strong
enough word in this situation?), then ANGER. I was SO MAD at her that I couldn't even look her way for several minutes.
I'm thinking maybe it's time for some leashes.
I'm thinking maybe it's time for some leashes.
2) I burnt the crud out of some popcorn I left in the microwave too long. It's hard to believe just how much smoke one burnt bag of popcorn makes. When I removed it from the microwave, Emily started screaming "MOMMY!! KAYLEE!!! COVER YOUR HEAD!!" as she dropped to the floor with her face covered and started rolling around. It was pretty funny. Then Saturday morning I left for a while and Jesse watched all four kids. When I returned, Jesse asked if I had noticed the police cruiser on the street. He indicated I should ask Emily about it. Her face crumbled and she started crying- "It's because (gasp) ...I... (tears) called (gasp, tears, gasp, tears)...9...1...1! WAAAA!!!" Hmmm, call me crazy, but I bet her school has had a few lessons on emergencies lately, ya think?
In other news, I sure am glad to have my little boy back... the past week a little red eyed devil was running around in his place, complete with pointy tail and sharp horns. In his defense, he had a mouth full of canker sores and two teeth coming in, and he was PISSED all week. But the sweet Jude is back. At least for a while.
So here is my funny conversation of the week:
Picture all four kids in the tub. I step out for one second and peep my head around the corner to make sure no one is drowning. Jude is standing up in the tub with the biggest shit-eating-grin on his face and his hands squarely clasped around his ... ahem... package. But yikes! Presley also has her hands on it and is cracking up.

So here is my funny conversation of the week:
Picture all four kids in the tub. I step out for one second and peep my head around the corner to make sure no one is drowning. Jude is standing up in the tub with the biggest shit-eating-grin on his face and his hands squarely clasped around his ... ahem... package. But yikes! Presley also has her hands on it and is cracking up.
Presley: Mommy, I play with Jude's butt?
Me: Presley, that is not his butt. Take your hands off of Jude. Only he is allowed to play with his junk.
Presley: Oh. I play with only mine?
Me: Ummm... well... yeah, I guess you can play with yours, but only YOU. no one else!
Presley: Mommy. I want one like Jude's!!!
Presley: Oh. I play with only mine?
Me: Ummm... well... yeah, I guess you can play with yours, but only YOU. no one else!
Presley: Mommy. I want one like Jude's!!!
Me: Well. You can't have one like Jude's. He is a boy. You are a girl.
(Meanwhile, Jude is just playing away with it)
Presley (with her indigous face on): Jude is NOT a boy! He's a girl!
Me: No. Jude is a boy.
(Meanwhile, Jude is just playing away with it)
Presley (with her indigous face on): Jude is NOT a boy! He's a girl!
Me: No. Jude is a boy.
Presley: NO! Jude is a girl!Me: No. Jude is a boy.
Presley: NO! Jude is a girl!
Me: Ok Presley.
Good thing he is so damn cute. His mommy is REALLY ruining any chances he has of getting a date in 15 years. However, I take solace hearing from the few men I know with older sisters- they have all told me they absolutely loved it. Something to do with 1) hot friends of their sisters at their house all the time 2) having lots of women to take care of you.
Presley: NO! Jude is a girl!
Me: Ok Presley.
Good thing he is so damn cute. His mommy is REALLY ruining any chances he has of getting a date in 15 years. However, I take solace hearing from the few men I know with older sisters- they have all told me they absolutely loved it. Something to do with 1) hot friends of their sisters at their house all the time 2) having lots of women to take care of you.
My dear friend Courteney Miller and I swapped favors- I took her maternity pix and she took some family pix of us. The following (and the pic above) are a couple of my faves- I did all the editing on the raw photos since Courteney's little girl made an appearance 5 weeks early and she has been slightly busy (Congrats again Courteney!)!



Tracy,
ReplyDeleteI am a friend of Loren Marietta's and Jack Skaggs is my husband (Jesse knows him!). I LOVE reading your blog! Jack and I both had 4 kids on our families growing up and it was always an adventure as it seems to be with you. Definitely never a dull moment! Anyway, I just wanted to say I think you are a great photographer and a great mom. I also had a question for you - what photography software do you use? Your pictures really are amazing. We have a blog off of Taryn's if you just want to make sure I am not some crazy woman (or maybe my blog will confirm that!). Samuel and Jane Ann are our children. Thanks, Tracy!
~Amy
hi amy! thank you so much for your kind words :) i use photoshop CS, but i will probably try to upgrade soon to PS CS4. if you want a cheaper version, i suggest photoshop elements, its great!
ReplyDeleteI love the pictures, the one of you with the kids is so cute. As far as the 911 thing, I think every kid does it and yes there is always an increase in 911 hang-up calls when teachers give that lesson. Be prepared it is going to happen at least 3 more times! LOL
ReplyDeleteHeehee :) I LOVE reading your blog! Tristan LOVES playing w/ his package - He always has. The other day I told Mark "Pierce has discovered balls." and then "NO NOT HIS OWN, OTHER BALLS." and then "NO NOT OTHER PEOPLE's BALLS, TOY BALLS." I think it starts young! I also locked myself out of the house the other day while the kids were napping. I haven't told anyone about it except Mark (and now the entire internet community). Some workmen next door used a credit card to get into the house... I was so thankful... and a little nervous - How many people around here know how to open a lock w/ a credit card anyway???
ReplyDeleteToo cute! Great pictures!!!
ReplyDeleteCUUUUTE! How the heck did you get ALL FOUR of them to look so darn cute and Smiley!? Your photos are GORGEOUS!
ReplyDeleteWhen we first visited The Woodlands back in 1980 we (all the Riveras) went from model home to model home trying to pick our 1st Woodlands home. Paco, who was between kinder & first grade, brought the Police & Firefighters to the very first one we toured. He found the old security panels on the wall that had buttons dedicated to the different emergency services. I can't wait to tell Jayce that story!!! ;)
ReplyDeleteAwh those turned out great Tracy! I am so glad that we could do that for each other! I wish I could have edited them for you but you did a great job! You have a BEAUTIFUL family!
ReplyDelete