Thursday, November 13, 2008

Thoughts on Kindergarten

Emily has been in kindergarten for a few months now, here are my initial thoughts:

-I understand why I was never called into Education. I have a whole new respect for educators (this coming from someone married to an educator) of small children after the first few months of Kindergarten. I smile and use my soft encouraging voice when helping my sweet Emily praddle through her homework (she LOVES homework), but I've got a serious internal struggle going on... "FOR THE LOVE OF GOD! I helped you spell that word TEN TIMES. PLEASE DONT MAKE ME SPELL IT AGAIN!" I, of course, try not to let this frustration show... I just walk away and Jesse steps in.

- School lunches are appalling. They offer Kindergarteners cookies, chocolate milk, and pizza every day. What kindergartner is going to choose the fruit and white milk over that offering?? I will do something about this, although I don't know what just yet. The way I see it- only I should be allowed to feed my kids crap. (I do however have fond memories of eating a greasy bowl of noodles and a white roll every day for lunch in high school. Hey, I wasnt the only one... LAURA...and ALICIA).  

I know, I know, I COULD pack her lunch, but we've been there, done that... it didn't work very well (for various reasons).
- For all you parents of small kids not yet in school. There is at least 30 minutes of homework a night. For Kindergartners.

I can't wait till I have four kids in jr. high and high school that need help with AP biology (since I know they will all be in all honors classes and Varsity right?). "Sweetie- mommy didn't take biology in college, she took meteorology because she thought it would be easy and because a lot of football players took it (no, I didnt want to DATE them... I was just star struck bc A&M was actually good back then). You'll have to watch Sid the Science Kid for an answer."

- Kindergarten teachers are worth their weight in gold.

Some more random thoughts:

-I can't believe I haven't blogged about this season's soccer yet. Emily LOVES it. She scored a goal a couple of weeks ago. Then the next game, she scored TWO goals (I guess I should disclose she scored those two for the other team).
- Jesse and I were away for three nights last week. When we got home, the kids had all gotten bigger. Taller. And even more beautiful. Funny how that happens.
-I'm going to regret this posting, but I would like to brag about my immune system. Everyone in the house, including our nanny, got a barfing bug. Then 3/4 kids got an awful croupy cough. I kiss on them all day long and I didn't get anything.  I know it is stupid to even have those thoughts, since the minute I hit "publish post" I am bound to come down with something. Oh well.

This picture is funny:

5 comments:

  1. I second your thoughts on kindergarten! I substituted a kindergarten class three times a few years ago, and I swear it was straight from the movie Kindergarten Cop (well, the beginning part when the class is nuts and he has no control over them). If one more kid asked me if he/she could sharpen his/her pencil, I thought I was going to scream -- and then one of the kids started doing the robot in the middle of the room. Kids are awesome like that, right when you want to scream they do something so unbelievably cute! Oh, and that last picture of Jesse and Jude is so stinkin' cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a great black and white picture of Jude. I plan on sending Annemarie to my parent's house and let Pappa help her with homework. See, that was easy! He he he

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dude, I would still eat white rolls and noodles if my body could handle it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. HAHA - your posts leave me rolling on the floor laughing (or ROTFL) everytime. Meteorology?! AWESOME. Absolutely love the pic of Jude and Jesse. Made me go "AWWWWWW".

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great pics as always! Im with u on the bad food choices at school. Did you know that the College Park HS cafeteria has taco bell, pizza hut, and some other fast food stuff. Isn't that insane. That was a while back I dont know if that still holds true. I was a brown bagger myself, hated school lunches!

    ReplyDelete